Our Tropical Fruit Trees
The following is a list of the Tropical Fruit Trees we stock. The availability of these trees changes depending on the season and availability from suppliers. Look below for some more information and call for current availability.
MACADAMIA (Macadamia integrifolia x tetraphylla)
We currently have Pinkalicious Macadamia trees in stock. An Australian native nut originating in the rainforests of southern Queensland, these are a medium sized, evergreen tree growing to approximately 6 metres high. From July to September flowers appear as long, drooping racemes, bright pink in colour. The nuts are ripe when they fall which is from autumn into early winter. When planting minimise the disturbance on the root system as much as possible and mulch well after planting. A fertiliser high in Nitrogen and low in Phosphorus is recommended as Macadamia are in the same family as Grevillea.
MANGO (Mangifera indica)
The Bowen or Kensington Pride Mango cultivar originated in Australia. It is a very popular commercial variety with large, sweet and very juicy with an almost fibre-free flesh. Flowering occurs during winter to early spring. Kensington Pride will fruit somewhere around February to March in Sydney, earlier in more tropical areas. Our Kensington Pride Mangos are seed grown and will get to around 7 to 10 metres in Sydney in their lifetime.
AVOCADO (Persea americana)
Avocados trees are an evergreen tree native to the tropical and sub-tropical areas of Central and South America. They like a very well-drained soil with plenty of organic matter and require frost protection, especially when young. We sell grafted Avocados and the size of the tree varies depending on the variety. Avocados have 'A' and 'B' types which are both required for the commercial growing of fruit, however for the home gardener, it's possible to produce enough fruit with just a single type. Our Avocado trees will be available again in spring as we have tucked them safely away in our poly house to keep them warm over winter.
- Hass - A very popular commercial variety. Fruit is medium sized, pear shaped with a textured skin that is a dark greenish brown. The tree will get to around 7 metres in the Sydney climate. (A type)
- Reed - The Reed Avocado produces a large, round fruit with a green skin and a very creamy flavour. Reed trees will grow to around 7 metres in Sydney once fully grown. (A type)
- Wurtz - Wurtz is a smaller growing Avocado and will reach about 2 - 3 metres in height and has an attractive weeping habit and will work well in a pot. Wurtz fruit are pear shaped with a green skin and a rich flavoured flesh. The Wurtz will tolerate light frosts once mature. (A type)
- Edranol - A smaller tree growing to about 3 - 4 metres. Likes a sandy soil in a warm location. Medium fruit with a bumpy skin and yellow flesh. (B type)
- Fuerte - Large, spreading habit, and sometimes a biannual producer. Quite cold tolerant. Pear shaped fruit with a nutty flavour. (B type)